#244 Title:

Be Green: Water


Special Guest: Brian Clark Howard, Environmental Editor at National Geographic

Description: The average American lifestyle is fueled by nearly 2,000 gallons of H2O a day. What comes as more of a surprise to many is that only 5% of that runs through toilets, taps and hose at home. The rest (yes, 95%) is hidden in the food you eat, energy you use, products you buy, and services you rely on. Get the real facts, not the watered-down ones, as we talk to Brian Clark Howard, Environmental Editor at National Geographic.


Duration:
30:20

rss Listen Now (Vicky and Jen Player)
rss Listen Now(iTunes)
rss Listen Now(mp3)
rss Listen Now(m4a)

Show Index:

00:53 Intro: Water Water Everywhere
02:34 Water-Stressed Regions
06:03 1800 gal. Water = 1 lb. Beef
08:29 1000 gal. Water = 1 gal. Wine
09:48 Rice vs Wheat
10:45 Industry Use / Bio Fuel
13:44 About Be Green & Brian Clark Howard
15:43 #1 Water Wasters - Outside
18:17 #1 Water Wasters - Inside
25:00 Clothes & Water
26:40 Closing Comments



Related Podcasts:

Be Green: Zero Waste
Be Green: Self Care
Be Green: Clean Green
Be Green: Ed Begley Jr.
Be Green: Celebrations
Be Green: Ask Mother Nature
Be Green: Recycling


Special Guest:




Music Spotlight:
rss Music: Olivia Broadfield
rss Track:
Don't Cry

Get it on iTunes
.
Visit her on MySpace.




About Brian Clark Howard

Brian Clark Howard is a journalist and author who has co-written several books, including Build Your Own Small Wind Power System, Geothermal HVAC and Green Lighting. He serves as Environment Editor for NationalGeographic.com and formerly worked at The Daily Green.

Before that, he spent five years as Managing Editor of E/The Environmental Magazine, the U.S.’s oldest, largest independent environmental magazine. Howard researched and wrote articles on a diverse range of topics, including 8,000-word cover stories, and worked on the publication’s website. He has appeared on numerous radio and TV programs and was a finalist for the 2005 Reuters/IUCN Environmental Media Awards for his cover story on the bottled water industry.

Brian's work has been published by MSN, Yahoo!, TheAtlantic.com, MailOnline.com, Popular Mechanics online, the San Francisco Chronicle and elsewhere.

Brian has also written for Editor and Publisher Online, Connecticut Magazine, National Geographic's The Green Guide, Alternet, Fairfield County Weekly, Oceana, Clamor, NewAssignment.Net and Britain’s Ergo Living. He was the co-editor and co-author of the 2005 book Green Living: The E Magazine Handbook for Living Lightly on the Earth. He is also an active member of the Society of Environmental Journalists.

Brian earned an M.S. in journalism from Columbia University, and holds a B.S. and B.A. in Geology and Biology from Indiana University in Bloomington, with minors in Art History, German and Western European Studies. In college, he conducted research on birds and wetland ecology and on Ordovician fossils.

He is originally from the Midwest (Michigan and Indiana), but now lives in Washington, D.C. Brian enjoys snowboarding, gardening, traveling experiencing the outdoors and digesting many forms of media, especially music and films. He lives in Washington, D.C. and his website is brianclarkhoward.com.


Quick Links


BrianClarkHoward.com

National Geographic

National Geographic on Twitter

Brian Clark Howard on Twitter





Get it on Amazon.


About his Newest Book

Build Your Own Small Wind Power System shows you how to install a grid-connected or off-grid residential-scale setup. Get tips for evaluating your site for wind power potential, obtaining permits, financing your project, selecting components, and assembling and maintaining your system. Pictures, diagrams, charts, and graphs illustrate each step along the way. You'll also find out how you can help promote wind-friendly public policies locally. Save money and reduce your carbon footprint with help from this practical guide.


Helpful Resources

The Hidden Water We Use
How much H2O is embedded in every day life? You might be surprised at how much water it takes to bring that hamburger to your plate or to make your favorite t-shirt. Compare apples to oranges, beer to wine, wind power to coal and see how your choices add up. Click here!

Water Footprint Calculator
What Is Your Water Footprint? Take a water tour with us through your home, yard, diet, and transportation and consumer choices! Then, pledge to cut your water footprint and help return more water to rivers, lakes, wetlands, underground aquifers, and freshwater species. Click here!

Our Top 50 Water Saving Tips
From using left over drinking water for the houseplants to saving a flush or two, this blog lists 50 easy tips to help you minimize your water footprint. Read it here.